Thursday, October 11, 2007

Can't delete column from a table (SQL SERVER 2000)

I was working on Sql server 2000 which was migrated from older version to sql server 2000.

I have added a column to an existing table using the following query:

alter table test add col1 varchar(1)

And afterwards I wanted to delete that column. I have tried the following query for that

alter table [test] drop column [col1]

but its always giving me the following error message :

This query executed successfully.

'test' table

- Unable to modify table.

ODBC error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 2: Incorrect syntax near 'col1'.

 

Same error I was getting when I tried deleting the column from Enterprise Manager.

Resolution :

first run the following query & check the compatibility :

sp_dbcmptlevel databaseName

If the compatability level is 65, change it to 70 or 80 by using the following query:

sp_dbcmptlevel databaseName,70

 

Now the delete query will be executed without fail.

No comments: